by Dr. Tina Marcantel
I recently attended the Arizona Naturopathic Medical Association’s annual conference for continuing education. The presenters were naturopathic doctor colleagues of mine from different parts of the U.S.
I enjoy these meetings because I truly believe that knowledge is empowerment and through the various presentations I obtained the latest research and tools that will help me help my patients on their paths to better health.
The conference was focused on environmental medicine and detoxification protocols to assist our patients in removing toxins from our detox pathways of the lymph system, the cells, and the blood.
All of us have been exposed to environmental pollution through air, food, and water. Being aware of this and taking action will allow healing to take effect in our bodies at a faster level. A detox program can also be beneficial for removing heavy metals caused from dental fillings, immunizations, and things such as the use of aluminum cans for our beverages.
One important “pearl of wisdom” I was reminded of this weekend was the awareness that sometimes focusing on removing toxins from our body rather than adding more supplements or medications can be more beneficial to our health, energy, and vitality.
Let me share with you some quick tips to assist in your detoxification process:
- Try dry skin brushing your body 1-2X per week before showering. This helps with exfoliation and increases circulation.
- Apply a castor oil liver pack 1X per week or more often as needed. This can help improve liver function to assist in the removal of toxins and reduces inflammation and improves digestion.
- Mild exercise such as yoga and stretching or a brisk walk will increase your metabolism and help your elimination processes.
- Intermittent fasting allows autophagy–the process of your body detoxing itself at a cellular level.
- Meditation and deep breathing exercises help calm the nerves and speed the healing process.
Of course, I’m always happy to work with my patients to help them adopt a detox program that will be the most beneficial specifically for them. Sometimes I may recommend things like homeopathy or botanicals to help detox the lymph system, cells, and blood.
Remember, taking care of your health is the greatest gift you can give yourself—and the people you love!